Thursday 30 April 2009

I'm a free woman!!!

OMG guys, guess what???

I officially completed my degree today! Hallelujah!!!

My final ever assignment - a 3000 word project - was handed in (albeit a bit late, but who cares?) and a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders! Bloody hell, it felt good! I had about 10 friggin' books from the library as well that needed to be returned, so it felt even better once I got rid of those heavy bastards!

Really, I should have put more time and effort into my last ever piece of work... but as usual, it was all lastminute.com, and I ended up writing the first sentence the night before at 1.30am - haha. OH WELL! It's done now, and I definitely don't feel like I handed in a piece of shit, so I think it's gonna be all good in the hood...

You'd think I'd feel a little bit sad for it to be all over and done with... but do I fuck! That place bored the friggin' pants off me, I tell ya. No excitement man... I feel like a lot of time was wasted there, and it certainly wasn't worth half of the fucking debt I'm in now.

I got some reeeeeal valuable advice for anyone who's considering going to uni: PLAN YOUR FINANCES PROPERLY! Don't let the fuckers get you into debt! Leave uni with more money than you went there with! Trust me, it can be done, just be careful my friends.

Yes, I owe nuff money, but on the other hand I don't really care because I know thousands of other students are in the exact same position as me, or worse off even! We're living in a recession, we're all screwed, so whatever innit.

But yeah, FINALLY!!! I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I will never have to do another piece of academic writing again! Never have to type up another tedious and more-complicated-than-it-should-be bibliography! Never have to worry about showing up to a lecture late, haha! It's all over with, apart from the ol' graduation in July! Bet you that's gonna be a fucking rip off as well!

Anyways, I think there's a moral to this story... errm... errr... oh yeah! Look guys, if you wanna go to uni, that's cool. Obviously, it's not a bad thing, but everyone's different and not everyone HAS to go, so don't let yourselves be forced into something you don't feel comfortable doing. If you're not sure what you want to be, don't spend over £3000 a year on some random art degree, just so you can say you're going to uni, ya feel me? I mean, I'm into all this journalism malarkey right, and I'll have you know that approximately 40% of all journalists do NOT have a degree to their name! How about that, eh? That's nearly half!!! So there ya go!

And don't get me wrong, I don't regret going. I enjoyed my course for the most part, it was interesting and valuable. I learnt a lot of shit that I probably would never have learnt hadn't I made the decision to carry on my education. I learnt about news values, I learnt about Laura Mulvey, I learnt about the concept of the public sphere, I learnt about Baudrillard and 'hyperreality', I learnt about the connection between culture and materialism, I learnt about ideolody, I learnt about the tabloid press and the carnivalesque, I learnt about postmodernism, I learnt about public service broadcasting, and I (kinda) figured out what the hell that dead fella Karl Marx was banging on about all those years ago. So not a bad learning experience I'd say!

But like I said before, if you're on this uni ting, just make sure, for the love of god, that you handle you're money right, because believe me - it ain't worth the P's they're robbing you for!

Farewell uni life... it's been fun being student bum! But now it's all about work life and making money (back)... and being an adult... and being responsible... and paying bills...

OMG I wanna kill myself!!!

Only joking.

And on that note, I'm gone.

Safe and bless.

1 comment:

William Adam said...

AHAHAHAAHA
You have to deal with the real world and all the shit that comes with it
i get to be a student for another few years
seriously though well done McBarbs